Sunday, October 13, 2013

dairy free slow cooked chicken and dumplings


I've never in my life had chicken dumplings until I made it last week. I searched the web and found a handful of recipes but they all had dairy in them or the recipes consisted of carrots, chicken and dumplings. I wanted a hearty meal that my family can eat for a few days and I needed to make sure that meal did not have dairy in it. I made this Friday night and tonight with plenty of left overs. 


{ingredients}
four boneless chicken breasts
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped carrots
1 medium sized sweet onion, diced
1 medium potato, peeled & diced 
1 cup sliced mushrooms
36 oz chicken stock (I used the wegmans brand and loved it, make sure it does not have dairy in it if your looking for a dairy free meal)
1 tablespoon garlic, minced 
3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons butter (dairy free)
thyme
rosemary
sea salt/pepper for flavor

{dumplings}
1 1/5 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons cold butter (dairy free) cut into small pieces
1/2 cup of coconut milk

In the bottom of your crock pot layer your onions, celery, carrots, potato and mushrooms. Place the chicken breast on top. Then in a small pan over medium heat add the dairy free butter, once melted whisk in 2 tablespoons of the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes to create a roux. Add in 2 cups of the chicken stock and 1 tablespoon of minced garlic, slowly whisk in the last tablespoon of flour and keep stirring for 4-5 mins. Pour over the chicken in the crock pot. Pour the remaining chicken stock into the crock pot. Then add the fresh thyme, rosemary, sea salt and pepper for flavor. Put lid on and cook on low for 6 hours. 

After 6 hours I typically take out the chicken with tongs and very carefully chop it up and place it back into the crock pot. I then turn the crock pot on high while I make the dumplings. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and pepper. Crumble in the butter with your fingers into the bowl and mix it all together until the mixture forms coarse crumbs. Add in the coconut milk and stir until a sticky dough forms. I then create mini balls (dumplings) and place them in the crock pot. Start by placing the dumplings around the outside first working your way to the middle. Cover and cook for another 1.5 hours. 

This meal is hearty, lasts awhile and my toddler loves it! 

(If you get a chance please double click the box and vote for our blog)
Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.