Monday, October 14, 2013

a toddlers heart on the furlough


Believe me, nothing is encouraging about the furlough. Especially when you live in an area that is impacted the most by employees on furlough and not being able to provide for their families. Impacted to the point of my husband and I are thinking we should put off on having another child until we figure out what is going to happen with this government shutdown. People all around us are talking about plan B and what to do next. We even had one of our neighbors run up to Scott last night asking if he still had his job and if he would be willing to pass along her resume because she was just laid off from hers from the shutdown and she doesn't know what to do because she has three kids. She needs her income. Its tense over here and each day we wake up anticipating the news announcement letting us know that the Senate got their act together and people are able to go back to work. Then each evening our hearts sink, we become frustrated, we start to worry and we wait.  I'll tell you what, I'm not good with waiting. Especially when it is this stressful. Judah asked me this morning why I was so sad (I looked worried) and I tried to explain to him how people are on furlough and some people (whether they are on furlough or directly affected by a govt program that is put on hold) are not able to provide food to their families. What Judah got from that conversation was "Hungry people need food. How can we help". He started asking me about getting food for the hungry babies. So I grabbed his bucket for his tractor (we do not have a wagon). Wrapped it in duct tape to make it more secure to hold cans and attached a strong rope to the back to pull it. Then we went door to door in our neighborhood asking for extra cans that we can donate to a local food bank. Many people were home because it is Columbus Day. Judah ended up collecting 25 cans, a box of cereal and three bags of dry beans. He was pretty worn out from walking up and down the stairs to knock on doors and pulling the tractor. We came back home so we could drop off the food and read books before nap time. He asked me right before I put him down for his nap if we would go out and "ask for more cans to help the babies".  Seeing Judah's encouragement heart in action took away overwhelming feeling of stress and uncertainty about the future.


(If you get a chance please double click the box and vote for our blog)
Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

3 comments:

  1. This is just heartwarming! A good kid you've got there! :)

    xo Trisha
    <a href="http://www.trishasales.net>trishasales.net</a>

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.