Monday, September 30, 2013

more love letters movement


The other day my friend Amy from Little Hip Squeaks tagged me in a photo on Instagram. It  was someone posting a picture of their "move love letters" encouragement card. I've never heard of the movement before and decided to investigate it. I don't think Amy realized the rabbit trail she had me going down. A trail of ideas and inspiration of wanting to write some letters of my own to randomly encourage people. I felt like I was encountering a story from "Chicken Soup for the Soul". I stayed up till 1 am writing the card below on several different cards. My plan was to carry the letters in my purse then drop them off at random places while I go about my errands for the day. 


My first stop was Joanne fabrics. I put the notecard right next to the big sale sign in the yarn section. I hung out in the area for a good bit pretending to look at yarn or more cards (Amy Im now addicted). After awhile I figured people are going to think Im strange for hanging out for so long in the yarn area so I made my purchases and left. 


Then I stopped by Wegmans. Scott told me that the people who probably need the most encouragement are the ones hanging out at the coffee aisle. So I waited till the aisle was empty and I ran over to the Starbucks Via display and placed the card right in front of it. Circled around the store a few times to see if the card was picked up but after 30 mins I finally left. 

I still had two love letters to hand out but I was feeling pretty worn out from all my errands and from being a single mom all week while Scott has been working 12-16 hour days. To tired to walk into a Starbucks I drove up to the drive thru one near our house. The traffic was horrible because of construction down the street. People were impatient and not being really kind to each other. After I gave me order to the drive thru cashier I saw two girls in the car behind me and I thought "they are going to get a card!". As I paid for my order I told the cashier I wanted to pay for the people behind me and I wanted her to give them this card. She said that she was having a rough day and that this was really sweet of me. So I said "well I have one more card it must be for you!". She had the BIGGEST smile on her face as she tucked the card into her Starbucks apron to read later. 


After I drove off I saw the two girls read their card. Then they paid for the persons order behind them. 

I really love this "More Love Letters" movement and I am now inspired to keep a handful of letters in my purse to place in random areas to hopefully encourage someone who needs it. 




(If you get a chance please double click the box and vote for our blog)
Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

3 comments:

  1. this is so cute! I live in NOVA too, and if anywhere in the world people need a little more kindness, it's in the DMV! Love that you're doing this. I'll keep an eye out, and maybe I'll write some of my own!

    Much love!
    Jess
    jessbuckley.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica,

    I came across your blog after reading your post on the Good Women project. Just wanted to let you know how deeply grateful I am for your courage and willingness to share the truth. I think you're an amazing mom and a blessing to little Judah. For what it's worth, your post about the love letters movement inspired me to write my own...in fact, I spent my 26th birthday taping up little notes in student dorms across campus! Hope you know that you're making a difference in lives around the world.

    Much love and blessings,
    P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.