Thursday, July 18, 2013

watermelon slushy and tiny umbrellas


I've been melting with jealousy over everyone posting pictures of their mouth watering slushy drinks. We don't have a slushy stand or shop anywhere in the Northern Virginia area. Believe me I've been scouring the web and asking everyone I know! Today when the temps hit near 100 I decided to take matters into my own hands and make Judah and I watermelon slushy drinks with cute tiny umbrellas. This project is ridiculously easy. 

{Watermelon Slushy}
*frozen cubed seedless watermelon
*ginger ale

Put the frozen watermelon with a cup full of ginger ale into the food processor. Blend until slushy. Its really that easy. 


{Mini Umbrella} 
*tooth picks
*scissors
*Elmer's glue
*pen
*white construction paper
*paint/crayon/markers (what ever you want to use to decorate)
*two circles to trace. I used a mason jar lid and the inside of a tape roll

Trace out both circles on the construction paper. I had Judah decorate with the paint sticks. Once decorated cut out both circles. With the larger circle your going to fold the paper several times to make ridges (picture above). Once folded cut out one of the triangle slices from the ridge. Overlap the two sections on the larger circle and glue. Stick the toothpick through the smaller circle. Glue the sides of the smaller circle and place inside the umbrella for support. Make sure the top of the toothpick sticks through the top of the large circle like an umbrella. Let it dry and stick into your fancy summer drink. 

(If you get a chance please double click the box and vote for our blog)
Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

3 comments:

  1. I love slushie. I also love pina coladas, just without the alcohol. This summer we've made many a trip to Dairy Queen for their pina coladas. I like to make shakes at home, but I'm afraid to use my blender to crush ice. So, slushies come from elsewhere. I'll have to try the little umbrellas. My daughter would love that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love slushie. I also love pina coladas, just without the alcohol. This summer we've made many a trip to Dairy Queen for their pina coladas. I like to make shakes at home, but I'm afraid to use my blender to crush ice. So, slushies come from elsewhere. I'll have to try the little umbrellas. My daughter would love that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love slushie. I also love pina coladas, just without the alcohol. This summer we've made many a trip to Dairy Queen for their pina coladas. I like to make shakes at home, but I'm afraid to use my blender to crush ice. So, slushies come from elsewhere. I'll have to try the little umbrellas. My daughter would love that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.