Wednesday, June 5, 2013

the unexpected


I woke up at 7:30 this morning and got ready to take Judah to mommy boot camp. When I finished putting on my workout cloths I picked up my phone to double check the time and noticed a text from my husband. He said that the weather is going to be gorgeous a perfect day for the zoo. So he asked his bosses if he could take the rest of the day off so he could take us to the zoo. They said yes so he is on his way home and he stopped by Starbucks to bring me my favorite drink. I put my phone down, snuggled up to Judah and whispered in his ear "Judah what do you want to do today" and he sleepily murmured back "trucks, lets play with trucks" and I said " would you maybe like to see some animals instead? like a lion or some...." and Judah sits right up and says "Snakes! Mama lets see snakes!". Okay Judah lets go outside and see if its nice enough to go to the zoo. He jumped off the bed, I helped him slip on his fireman boots and we walked outside just in time to see Scott pull up. My sleepy headed little boy just realized that his daddy was going to take him to the zoo! 

We spent the entire afternoon at the DC Zoo. I would suggest if you have a toddler that you try to take them inside the indoor animal exhibits.  The past three times I've taken Judah he would get distracted by other things besides the outdoor animals. It was to hard for him to focus on an animal that was so far away while other kids around him are pushing and talking loudly. At the indoor exhibits Judah was able to pay attention to the animals and really enjoyed talking to them. We saw lions, snakes, turtles, elephants and watched a family of Apes literally walk up to the glass we were standing at and watch us watching them eat. We bought monkey masks, took silly pictures, saw an escaped snake slither across the walking path and scare a bunch of people. We ended our zoo trip by driving over to my favorite vegan place Sticky Fingers to grab lunch before heading home. 

Judah and I ended up missing mommy boot camp today, its okay because we will make up the class tomorrow. Today was for the unexpected. We took advantage of this gorgeous day in doing something spontaneous and fun as a family. We made memories that will last a lifetime, like standing next to a family of Apes eating lunch or watching the escaped snake scare everyone. I'm so grateful that my husband was thoughtful enough to surprise us with such a fun day today.  

(If you get a chance please double click the box and vote for our blog)
Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like the best day ever!! What a great daddy & husband!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. your husband is so thoughtful :) you are truly blessed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun day (although the escaped snake would have scarred me for life)!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so sweet, I love surprising my kids like that.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.