Wednesday, June 19, 2013

encouraging an adoption


A few weeks ago my sister in law asked for help on facebook. She knew of a family that is adopting a child and they are holding a yard sale to help raise the funds for the adoption. I didn't know anything about the family or their adoption. We are in the process of downsizing Judah's toys and just clearing out the house and I had some things that I could donate to the family in need. When I brought a few bags over to my sister in laws house she told me a little more about the family and that they are adopting from Haiti. My heart immediately felt this intense tug and the desire to do more. A few years ago I went on a handful of missions trips to the Dominican Republic. Haiti and the Dominican Republic are on the same island and we interacted with a lot of Haitian children. I fell in love with the Haitian children. I always had a child in my arms and wished I could do more to help the living situations that they were in.  We walked the countryside through sugar cane fields, visited homes made out of tin, saw malnourished and dehydrated children and exhausted parents who tried to help raise them. Many of the children that we met were born to women who felt they had no other means to make money than to be a prostitute. Leaving their children alone at home with no food so they could go out make money to provide food and getting pregnant again in the process and starting the whole cycle all over again. It was heartbreaking.  


In the journals I kept during my missions trips I would always highlight the verse:

 {Isaiah 1:17} 
“Learn to do good. Seek justice. Help the oppressed. Defend the cause of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows.”

My heart hurts even more for these children because we walked and saw the hard road that they traveled. We saw the oppression, we saw the mothers who felt they had no other option than to sell their bodies for money for food. We saw the children not knowing any other way of life than the example they saw from their mothers. We held so many children that felt abandoned, alone and would take affection from anyone who would give it to them. Sometimes living in the Northern Virginia area its hard to still see that their is a huge need for our support and that The Lord has commanded us to do so. We saw a need with the adoption. We could immediately provide with the Wicklines  more toys and we drove over a few more bags last night. The entire time I was telling Judah that he was giving away his toys to help a little boy find a home and we hope that in the long run we are raising a boy who has a heart to help those in need.






(If you get a chance please double click the box and vote for our blog)
Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.