Monday, October 1, 2012

weekly library dates


The more you read to your child, the more likely they will learn to love books and reading time. Each week I take Judah to the local library to pick out some books. I used to pick out only board books and have only started to pick out books with illustrations and text in them.  

Judah reads all the time. He wants a book with him when we go on our runs, drive to finish some errands or he will randomly pick up a book to "read" on his own in his favorite chair. Each day when I put him down for his nap time he will "read" his books to his favorite stuffed animals in his crib before he falls asleep. He doesn't know how to read just yet but I believe he loves books because Scott and I make sure we read to him every single day and that we encourage his excitement over our weekly library dates. 

For Judah's nighttime routine he will take a bath, get into his pajamas and we will pile onto our bed to read some books. Scott takes Judah through the two big board books every night. He doesn't overwhelm him with all the information but will go through one section a night then will have Judah repeat back to Scott what he learned the previous night. We have noticed Judah's vocabulary increasing since Scott has started this particular routine. Then we read a handful of library books. 


This week Judah's favorite library book is the "Hip Hop Dog". Scott actually beatboxs the book to Judah. On the nights when Judah wakes up and cant go back to sleep he always asks for the "I love you stinky face" or the "Goodnight Moon" book and wants us to read it to him. 


I believe Judah enjoys the cuddling with mommy and daddy at the end of the night, the security of a routine and the fun of learning new things in books. 

What are some of your favorite books that you loved to read as a child or that your children currently love? 


(If you get a chance please double click the box and vote for our blog)
Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

10 comments:

  1. We LOVE the How Do Dinosaurs... books! We started going to the library last winter and now try to go every 2 weeks. Both kids adore books and would sit and read with me all day. You should try to find the Llama Llama books too - Caroline requests them every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally forgot about the Llama Llama books! I've been wanting to read them to Judah for awhile now :-) def on this weeks trip list

      Delete
  2. Oh yes,I am a BIG fan of reading to kids, starting from an early age. I love your routines you have with your (ADORABLE) son. So much learning involved, plus precious family memories in the making. Right now Cruz loves any interactive books, those touch and see type where he can touch the fuzzy tail, the bumpy crocodile, etc. But he's also really into routine, so he still loves any baby books that we've read to him since he was just a wee one. I think they give him security and comfort.
    PS. So glad you found my blog today! You are inspirational, and I've read through numerous posts and will keep reading! Hurrah for new blog friends! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im so happy I came across your blog today! I immediately liked you once I started reading your posts and Cruz is adorable! Judah LOVED the interactive books (fuzzy tail/bumpy crocodile ect) and I let him read those to his animal friends when he goes to sleep. So he doesn't go crazy and rip out pages of the library books during naptime ;-)

      Delete
  3. My son was only a week old and I started reading him Brown Bear Brown Bear. I knew it was silly and he wouldn't know, but i was so excited to share my love of reading. At a really young age he would sit very quiet while i read. One of our fave books is Each Peach Pear Plum. We love looking for the different characters hidden in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judah loves brown bear brown bear! He was given a big book for his first birthday and would cry if we didn't read it to him over and over and over again. Finally I thrifted a smaller version of it so I could carry it everywhere we went :-) Its lovingly near his bed :-)

      I've never heard of each peach pear plum. I'll have to look that up :-)
      thanks!

      Delete
  4. I love this post. Libraries rock (I should know since I am a children's librarian). My kids have grown up in the library and stay with me after school for a little while until their father comes to get them. My son loves the dinosaur books right now, like the one you have pictured above. My all time favorite children's authors are Oliver Jeffers, Karma Wilson and Mo Williems. You should look into their books for Judah.

    withpicklesandlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am going to look up those authors! Hopefully tomorrow is library day if not then on Thursday :-)

      I actually wanted to be a librarian when I was younger :-)

      Delete
  5. Yes! Great post (and lovely blog!). Reading to children from an early age is something I feel passionate about, and with the busy life of being a Mum it can be so easily overlooked. My son is currently obsessed with the Richard Scarry books - in particular, What do people do all day which is all about how a community works together. It's aimed at older children, but he already loves it at 13mths, talking to all the pictures and flicking to his favourite pages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cool that you've gotten Judah into books, it's SO important! I love his little mustaches.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.