Wednesday, October 10, 2012

no sew ewok costume

I am a crocheter not a sewer. I wish I knew how to sew and was even given a sewing machine for a wedding gift but was too afraid to try it out. It sits in my craft room, untouched until I am brave enough to learn. I am determined to make Judah's costume  each year and this year I wanted to have him dressed up like an Ewok from Starwars. I didn't want to hand sew the custom so I used my hot glue gun!


All you need is a hoodie, sweatpants, fur fabric, fabric that looks like pleather, cardboard and a hot glue gun. 


I placed the sweatpants and hoodie on top of the fur fabric and cut it up in sections. I just eyed it. For the front part of the hoodie I made sure I hot glued the fabric along the zipper so I am able to zip Judah in and out of his costume. 


Once the fur was hot glued on I put some hot glue along the edge of the hoodie and attached the pleather fabric. I cut the back up a little to make it look like a real Ewoks hoodie. Then I cut two bear ears out of cardboard  and hot glued fur on the ears. You will want to put a generous amount of hot glue on the bottom of the ears and hold it onto the hoodie for a few seconds to get them to stand up straight. 

All you need is a large stick from your backyard and you have a no sew Ewok costume. I was able to make this entire costume in two hours max. 


Its really easy, affordable and super cute! Judah runs around giggling hysterically because he looks like a "Wok". The two hours and the hot glue burns are totally worth hearing my sons laughter. 


I actually bought the boots off of an Etsy store last year when Judah dressed up as Chewbacca. He will probably be able to wear them for another year.


(please help us stay in the top 10 baby blogs, click the button to vote and click on the owl to the left hand side, you can vote once a day for us)
Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

16 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! That is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary :-)
      I really have to get a video of his giggles, its the cutest thing ever :-) I feel like I have a baby ewok ha ha :-)

      Delete
  2. That is so freaking cute! I can't get over it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It turned out so cute!! What a great idea! I'm sewing Isaac's costume this year. He's going to be a dinosaur. Same kind of idea tho, add fabric to a sweatsuit. Makes it super easy!

    ps- You should totally take a beginner sewing class!! Have you looked into one at a nearby community college? It's really not scary at all. I promise!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the cutest thing I have ever seen. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness. Great idea. I am determined that my son will be an Ewok for Halloween within the next few years. I cannot/have not learned how to sew either but this just let me know that it can be done by hand.

    My son is only going to be 7 months once Halloween makes it around this year so we decided to make a pirate costume for him. Super easy and no sewing needed. :) Maybe next year we will have to try this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the link to my shop:) I'm thrilled you've enjoyed the boots and gotten so much fun use out of them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This might be the most adorable costume I have ever seen. Kuddos madame;-)

    I am your newest follower and would love for you to stop by my mustache joint!
    http://spunkyrealdeal.blogspot.com

    xoxo,
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this turned out so well!! My co worker is looking for a costume for her son too, I'll pass along this post to her! She's not a sewer either but wants to make a costume!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, that costume (& Judah!) is so darn cute! Great job for being a no sew project too, it looks awesome. I know how you feel about sewing - I used to be a non sewer too, after being terrified of sewing machines & sergers from high school home ec sewing class mishaps... Once I got over my fear though, it opened up a whole new world of creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahahahaha that's fantastic!! You are so stinkin creative! Judah is pretty much the most adorable kid ever, this is so awesome. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH MY GOODNESS.
    I am sharing this on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kudos! Really really cool and you make it easy to make !

    ReplyDelete
  13. The costume is brilliant! And he's such a ham!

    www.lovethecheese.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the no sew idea and so quick to make!!! awesome. But how did you make or cover the sweatpants with the fur?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.