Monday, September 17, 2012

woodland creature hook

I've been looking all over for some hooks for my homes entryway. A few weeks ago I was in Anthropology and saw they had these cute kingdom creature hooks, but I didn't feel like spending $22  a hook when I know I could make it myself.  Then Mandy over at Harper's Happenings wrote up this cute tutorial about cutting the heads off some plastic animals and turning it into art. This inspired me to also cut up some toy animal heads and make them into woodland creature hooks!

I went to AC Moore and bought some mini plastic woodland creatures and three oval wood plaques. 


I had to have Scott cut off their heads. Its harder than it looks so if you try this at home please be careful. 



This morning I took Judah with me to home depot to pick out some spray paint and three 1 1/4 white cup hooks to screw under the plaques. 


I spray painted the wood plaques a warm yellow. Waited a few hours for it to dry and then painted the sides of the plaque white to match the white hooks.


After everything was dry I screwed in the white hooks, hammered in a pronged hanger in the back (so the plaque can hang on a wall) then super glued the woodland creatures head on the center of the plaque. I spoke to someone at Home Deport and they said super glue should hold the plastic and wood together just fine. 



It should look like this. 



 I hung them all up on the wall. They are strong enough to hold a set of keys or a hoodie. 


Each plaque cost me around $3 each to make and it took me about a day to complete the entire set. 



(If you get a chance please double click the box and vote for our blog)
Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

11 comments:

  1. i love your take on these hooks! the ones from anthro are cute but i actually like yours better! they have a better price tag too hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so adorable! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME!! I am SO making these for our new house. Thank you. Also, I love the Viking helmet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Every time I see this project pop up (blogs or Pinterest) I keep thinking how fun it would be to do ~ you did a great job!
    Call me silly, I somehow feel 'creeped out' about cutting the cute animals in half... sheeeeesh.
    I like the idea of making them in to magnets for the fridge too.. you could use their 'butts' for that project! lol

    Mel
    needle and nest design

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are so so cute. Sooooo cute.

    The kid's Viking helmet is even cuter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are so cute! They would make great school bag hooks right by the door!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh goodness! These are so cool. I think I may give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love this idea!

    http://babybakerlove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea making them yourself! They turned out great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.