Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Thrifting in Northern Virginia

In April Forbes magazine came out with an article listing the top richest counties in the United States.  My husband and I currently reside in #3 (Fairfax County), being a stay at home mom we like to try to save as much money as possible. So when my husbands suggests that I use the Kohl's coupon we got in the mail or that I go to the mall to buy a new piece of clothing for myself or our son I laugh at him. No way am I going to buy something new when I can find a better deal in our local thrift stores. I've been thrifting in this area for over ten years and have a pretty good idea of where the deals are at. I want to share with you my three favorite thrift stores in the Northern Virginia area. 

Unique - located off of Gallows Road in Falls Church, Virginia
Good Will - located off of Main Street in Fairfax, Virginia 
Salvation Army - located off of little river turnpike in Alexandria, Virginia

I've never been disappointed by these three stores. Not only will you find a great deal if you are willing to spend time to search for it, but the staff is really friendly and helpful.

Judah is complimented on his outfit daily and he looks like I spend a fortune on his clothing. When in reality his outfit probably costs less than a Venti Pumpkin Spice Latte at Starbucks. Here is an example of what he typically wears. Jeans, t-shirt, vest and vintage saddle back shoes this entire outfit cost me $3.50.


If your looking for clothing, the Salvation Army is a great place to start. The Salvation Army that is located off of Little River Turnpike has a great selection of clothing because they are one of the main drop off centers. Every Wednesday the entire store is 25% off.  If you go on a Wednesday make sure you arrive with plenty of time to wait for parking, but keep calm its worth the wait.

I found these old man pajamas for Judah at the Salvation Army. 


If your looking for a great deal on furniture then I would suggest you visit the Good Will located off of Main Street in Fairfax Virginia. This store normally has 50% off their entire selection of furniture every single day. I just bought this vintage children's desk for $10! Most vintage desks are selling for well over $100 on craigslist. 


Also I found a vintage Fisher Price horse.


And a cool art easel for Judah. 


If your looking for books, household items, clothing or toys then I would suggest you go to Unique. They have a huge selection of all things, the only downfall is that they don't have dressing rooms. But you will learn if you want to try something on to just wear a tank top and try the outfit on top of your clothing, everyone else is doing it so you wont look strange. Every Monday is customer appreciation day and you will receive 25% off your entire order. If you become a VIP member (its free) then you can also save 25% off your entire order on Thursdays. On holidays i.e. Labor Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July ect they will give you 50% off your entire order. If you do go on a Holiday make sure you arrive an hour early the line is worse than waiting for the iPhone 5. 

 Unique has one of the best book selections of all of  Northern Virginia and the lowest priced. I also recently found Judah this .50 cent Viking hat that he will not take off. 


There you go, some of my secrets for saving money while living in Northern Virginia.


(If you get a chance please double click the box and vote for our blog)
Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

15 comments:

  1. I'm so going to hit up that goodwill! I love the one in herndon, I regularly score $180 jeans there for $8.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally forgot about the Herndon goodwill :-) I am taking Judah there next week and maybe stopping by frying pan park afterwards :-) thanks for the reminder!

      Delete
  2. Wow great finds! I love the pjs and the saddle shoes! So stinking cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :-)
      I've been looking for saddle shoes for a long time and the pj's were total luck :-)

      Delete
  3. The pic of Judah in the pjs is too cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-) I kinda never want him to grow out of the pjs

      Delete
  4. Very nice photo shot, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome finds! I wish I lived closer so I could visit those stores *sigh* ... Those old man pajamas are awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The old man pajamas are my favorite :-)
      Try looking up Unique thrift store, they have them all over the US :-) or look to see when your local good will or salvation army has sale days. They have them at least once a week

      Delete
  6. LOVE this post! such great finds and info for your locals! great hunting jess!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is nothing like a good vintage/thrifted find! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOH! Good to know girl!!!!!!!!! We should do a thifting Saturday girls only sometime!!!! SO FUN!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That desk is so awesome! I would've loved to have that as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  10. you go girl. i am seeing ppl doing this more and more. thrifting and its a great way to save serious money. and get cute stuff too...i just did a little for myself this week ;) yay for me stuff! that doesnt happen often with 3 kids. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH MY GOODNESS IS HE CUTE.
    Sorry, but he is the cutest little thing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.