Friday, September 7, 2012

how to crochet a pretty floral blanket

I wanted to show you how to make pretty crochet floral blanket. 


What you need:

Colorful yarn (I use red heart but you can use any medium worsted weight yarn)
Size K crochet hook (you can use a smaller hook but I wouldn't advise using anything larger)
embroidery needle 
scissors


The flowers I use for this blanket are called millefiore flowers. Here is how I make them.

*make a magic loop with your yarn*
1st round: chain 3, 1 triple crochet. chain 3 slip stitch into the ring. Do this 7 times
pull the loop tight so the middle of the flower tightens together
fasten off and tie together

The flower should look like this


Crochet as many of these flowers that you can, I typically make a bunch in between my regular crochet projects and store them in my TOMs bag. 


Once I have a bag full of flowers I start stitch them together using the embroidery needle. What I will do is get 6-8 of the same color flowers, stitch them together in bunches and then stitch the bunches all together until I have a blanket. 


Its hard work but you will absolutely adore the complete blanket. If you don't want to crochet the blanket yourself I should have some up for sale in my shop next week. 



(If you get a chance please double click the box and vote for our blog)
Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

11 comments:

  1. I love this blanket, curious about the edges, do you let them stay free form?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah!

      Thanks, yes I do keep it free form. I kept thinking over edging ideas but thought the free form look was prettier. So it looks like its a floor full of flowers :-) let me know if you end up making the blanket and have a different edging, I would love to see it

      Delete
  2. I actually just recently took up crocheting (I would love to get as good as you!) That silly magic loop has kicked my behind every time, so no I just make a small loop and go from there. I saw this carpet (http://www.curbly.com/users/capreek/posts/11098-make-it-a-stunning-diy-rope-rug) and immediately decided I had to crochet something similar but as a bed runner. I have about 35 rounds of different sizes & styles, but no clue how to put them together. Once I finish that project, this one will be next! I love the design!! ((Thanks for answering by the way.))

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE LOVE LOVE this blanket! Just lovely! So wish I could crochet! Thanks for sharing! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute, I am not crafty at all so I love how you just have extra flowers on hand, no big deal :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ;-) oh Kara one day you will be super crafty
      xo

      Delete
  5. So cute! I keep trying to learn how to crochet, but I just cannot get the hang of it. Do you have any recommendations for books or websites for beginners?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually check out your local craft store like Michaels they have classes especially since fall is right around the corner :-)

      Delete
  6. So lovely! I've been wanting to start on a big project like this for quite some time, and after seeing yours I think I'm going to give it a start soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it turns out :-) I've been also crocheting granny squares and its neat to stitch them all up together (make perfect christmas gifts)

      Delete
  7. Hi, does this flower have 7 or 8 petals?:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.