Wednesday, September 5, 2012

good and bad

With in an hour of me writing my last post on me not trying to suck at marriage, Scott  had another super scary low blood sugar. It was Sunday night, I just finished a batch of Fox Hats and I turned to my husband and said "do you really like these?" he just stared at me like he was looking right through me. I asked him "Scott is your blood sugar low?" he was upset that I assumed his blood sugar was low. He checked his blood sugar and it was 50 so I asked him if he would like me to get him some juice and he said no. I went into the kitchen and poured him a glass of lemonade. When I came back into the living room Scott would not take it from me. Instead he kept walking around the main level of the house looking around like someone else was there and kept looking at me like I was a stranger and he would say "why do you keep doing this to me". I kept calm and would say "Scott...I'm your wife... I love you...please drink the juice" finally he drank some juice but refused to take another blood sugar. At this point 30 minutes has passed so I took his blood sugar kit and put it in front of him. This freaked Scott out and he got up and ran away from me. He went upstairs and started looking into each of the rooms and when I would try to get near him he would run away and act upset. I knew I needed help so I called the Fairfax non emergency line. Since Scott wasn't taking another blood sugar and was acting strange they sent over the EMTs.  


By the time they arrived Scotts blood sugar was back to normal. They hung out for a good bit just to make sure Scott was okay. I could see both the good and bad in Sunday night. The bad, low blood sugars are aways scary. I have to be mentally and physically prepared that one day I may have to give my husband a glucagon. Diabetics can get violent if they are super low, Scott was just telling and EMT how he broke a Dr's jaw when he was younger from kicking him in the face because he didn't want a glucagon shot. Um I don't want my jaw broken, can I get a bow and arrow and just shoot at his leg from across the room? Just kidding. Also when Scott is really low, he has no idea who I am, to him I am the enemy, someone who he thinks is going to hurt him.  So I have to find out a way to convince my husband that I am his wife, that I love him and I am here to help. This can be discouraging if I take it personally and I have to constantly remind myself that this is not Scott's fault, its his diabetes. The good stuff, Judah never woke up! We had almost eight EMTs and Police Officers in our home talking loudly and Judah never woke up. Also I was reminded that I just wrote a post on how I am trying not to suck at marriage and my heart tried even harder to not take his low blood sugar personally.  I tried extra hard to stay calm be really nice to help him get his blood sugar back up. It is really hard to be extra nice to someone who is running away from you angry that you are trying to help them.

Also the extra extra extra good in this. We really missed Judah so we pulled him into bed with us when the EMT's finally left the house. Scott is normally fine after he brings his low blood sugar back up, it just takes awhile to just get through the low diabetic fog.


Tuesday we finally went to Kaiser to see about my lungs and cough. I was wheezing so they put me on the nebulizer and told me that I have bronchitis. 


I am trying my hardest to rest but its kinda hard when I have this cute boy wanting to play. I took him outside, filled his dirty water table up with soap and water and sat down to watch him dump bubbles all over himself. 


He wore himself out. Plus I was able to get a clean water table from all the soap and water. 


Hopefully our home will be back to healthy this week. In the meantime my antibiotics is kinda forcing me to rest. 



(If you get a chance please double click the box and vote for our blog)
Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

10 comments:

  1. You should make a video like 51st dates!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diabetes can be scary! Good thing you ARE a good wife, maybe a family portrait could help if that ever happens again like "look this is US" I don't know. Also, love that water table, we have the same one and I do the same thing to get it cleaned!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I don't feel like a good wife when his blood sugar is low. I can try the family portrait thing next time :-) thanks for the suggestion :-)

      Delete
  3. Wow, you are such a good wife. My dad was a diabetic. I really understand what you are going through. There is a lot of ups and downs and medical scares with this crazy disease. I hope one day that they will be able to figure out something to control the sugar and help all these people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they find a cure if not in our lifetime than in Judahs lifetime :-)

      Delete
  4. so scarry jess! hang in there and find time to rest. you need to get well so you can be the best mama that you always are ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww love you sweet friend. its driving me nuts that I can't be as active with Judah this week

      Delete
  5. Gah, that sounds so terrifying. I'm so sorry that happened to you guys and so glad he's feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.