Tuesday, July 24, 2012

new thrift store with vintage promises




Last week Scott and I were running on empty for several reasons, but the main one was Judah is teething and we barely slept. We needed a break from him badly. Scott's parents must have sensed we needed a break and offered to watch Judah for a few hours on Saturday while we did something fun. We first wanted to wear Judah out a bit to make sure he wasn't screaming the entire time he was at his grandparents. I wanted to make sure they still wanted to babysit in the future. 

It was drizzling outside so we walked him up to Robinson High school and let him walk on the bleachers with us. 


Mr. Independent with his box of raisins. 


Once we dropped Judah off at Scott's parents house we were having trouble trying to figure out what we can do with our 3 hours of free time. I then remembered that I received an email earlier this week about a new thrift store opening up near Potomac Mills. The email was sent out from my favorite thrift store's Unique and they said the new store had the same low prices and that they also had "vintage finds". Our best dates are thrift dates so we figured we would check out the store and grab dinner on the way back. 


When we arrived the store had balloons outside and people waiting to greet us. We were pretty excited.


Scott had to hi-five everyone....hey we were excited to find some "vintage finds".



We spent an hour and a half combing the entire store. I kept thinking "they have to have more".  My first impression of the store is I think Savers was overpriced compared to Unique and it looked like people either combed through the inventory or they just don't have the "vintage finds". Most of their dresses are priced around $12 at Unique they are typically around $8. The children's clothing is really hit or miss and the most random things are really expensive, for example anything that has a GAP label regardless of the condition of the price is marked high. But then I found a handful of vintage items that are marked low. Also the employees will literally follow you around and organize the items you just looked through. Sorry I like to thrift in peace. They do however have a great book selection, this is the only place that I have found vintage crochet books. 


I was also able to pick up these awesome vintage Mc Hammer pants. These made the whole trip worthwhile. 


Savers felt more like a "Big Lots" than a thrift store. I'm sure at some point in the future if we are ever out in the Potomac Mills area I'll check out Savers again but I don't think I'll make a special trip just to go back. 


(If you get a chance please double click the box and vote for our blog)
Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

1 comment:

  1. Love that Scott had to hi-five people. That is freaking hilarious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.