Saturday, July 28, 2012

method to my madness, thrifting with a toddler.




Today after Judah woke up from his nap I thought "we should stop by Unique!". I'm sure any mom would say "what in the world is she thinking, its Saturday any thrift store is packed and your child is going to have a complete meltdown". But I am going to share you the method to my madness on how to thrift with a toddler. 

Judah was looking extra dapper today in a bow tie from one of my sponsors KBP Designs. When ever I do take Judah out to go thrifting with me I either go early in the morning right when the thrift store opens or I wait till right after his nap. That way I am sure to miss his pre nap crankies. I also make sure he has had a meal before we left the house. 


I always pack lots of snacks. Recently they have been his teething cookies, goldfish, blueberries and I always bring his sippy cup and my water bottle. Sometimes I can distract him by giving him "mamas drink" instead of his sippy cup. The first thing we do when we enter Unique is walk right over to the children's book section. I hand Judah a few board books to look at and I quickly look through the books while he is distracted. Since Judah is a very social little guy he is easily entertained by anyone who will give him attention and since he is wearing a bow tie people tend to walk up to him to talk. He is constantly saying "hi!" or now pointing to his books saying "book". If you plan on thrifting with your toddler know that they are probably going to make noise so you might as well let them talk as loud as they want, its better than screaming right. 


 After the children's book section I walk over to the little boys and girls clothing area, en route I walk down a few aisle and quickly glance at housewares. After I look through the clothing I then walk over the the furniture area to see if anything catches my eye. At this point Judah is probably getting a little antsy so I walk him over to the toy section and let him hold a "truck". I make another walk around Unique before I head over to the cash register. At the cash register Judah always flirts with the cashier, at this point I am able to take away any of the toys that I distracted him with and lay them aside. He never notices me. 


At the end of the trip I have a happy baby and a happy mama. Today I was able to walk around for an hour before Judah started to get antsy. 


One of my favorite finds from today is this vintage cream traveller makeup case. I only paid $4 and its in almost near perfect condition. My mother had one of these when I was little in blue, I remember being able to hold it while we flew over from Europe to the States and have been looking for one for years.


The inside is in perfect condition. I love the old smell it has and the mustard yellow fabric has no tears. Whomever had this before me really took care of it. 



Also I've been on the hunt for a nice sugar jar to put on our kitchen counter top. I found this old Sugar Mason Jar once cleaned it will look really nice in my kitchen. 


I also found a handful of books that I am gifting to some of my blogger moms and this adorable Rhymes and Fingerplays book for Judah. Its filled with cute little rhymes for everything. I really look forward to learning and teaching some to Judah so I can sing with him through out the day. Also I found a record on "The little engine that could". Judah loves to dance and listen to music on our record player and I know this will be a special treat to listen to songs about trains. 


Finally I found a really old Sesame Street vest with Grover on it, a vintage toy telephone for Judah and these cute little Japanese toddler slip on shoes. I love our Unique because we are living in such a diverse area that you never know what neat finds you will score.


Judah normally does pretty well with me when I take him thrifting. I am super aware of his cues and keep an eye out if he is tired, hungry or just really not wanting to be at a thrift store. Once he has a meltdown we are out the door. I think that is why he is typically so good with me because he knows that I will leave if he feels like he can't handle our thrift date and that I will not be upset at him. 



My sponsor wanted to give the readers at My Little Mustache 10% off their order from now till August 11th. Just use the code BLOGGERFIND when you check out. Stop by her store, she has the most adorable bow ties, Judah received so many compliments today while we were thrifting, I believe that is why I was able to thrift for over an hour with him today. 




(If you get a chance please double click the box and vote for our blog)
Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on finding the travel case - I love those! Sugar jar is also wonderful. I can tell you are a patient mama, that always makes everything easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so fun to thrift and I applaud you for knowing your son so well that you are able to have him come along on your adventures :) I work in a daycare and know that sometimes parents either push their kiddos too hard with what they can take or give up at the first sign of grouchiness rather than redirecting. Go Mama Jess!

    PS - I was TOTALLY at Unique yesterday looking for games for my classroom and SAW that very sugar jar - I almost bought the coffee one =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, so cute with the little bow tie. I would come over and say hello too. It's great that you found a routine. My son is still young and when I go out with him, we try to feed him and let him sleep in the carseat. It works for 1-2hours.

    Also, the cookie monster on the vest looks a little scary to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the great tips! My youngest is 4 and thinks he needs to not be in a cart anymore...so I get a little cardio when we go :)
    I love the travel case! My mom had a red one and a brown one and called them "train cases."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE Unique. It's one of my favorite stores.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.