Saturday, May 19, 2012

a whole new diet




We are finally home! Since the hotel was willing to give us back Friday night if we left before noon we drove up that morning. I'm so happy we are finally home so we can get back into a routine, the beach is nice but home is where the heart is. I've shared with you my on going issues with my stomach, the many tests I've taken and how frustrated I am with Kaiser and that they don't seem to have a clue on whats going on with my stomach and the only answer they can give me is that I have an ulcer. I trusted their opinion and for the past month have been committed to taking their double dosage suggestion of the ulcer medication and have stayed away from coffee and spicy foods. But while we were on our beach trip I had what I thought was food poisoning at Myrtle and then again in Virginia Beach. Scott encouraged me to call my primary to schedule a phone conversation with her since it doesn't make sense why I am so prone to food poisoning especially when we often eat the same thing and he doesn't get sick. My primary care Doctor called me on Friday right when we arrived at home and we discussed my issues, what I ate before I was really sick, how often and we started ruling some things out. At the end of the conversation she asked if I would be willing to cut out dairy for awhile because I may be lactose intolerance and just like that a light bulb went off in my head and I said "almost everyone in my family is lactose intolerant" and she said "its genetic!". Well that would explain why I feel like i am going to die after I eat cheese or ice-cream. She still wants me to take my ulcer medication because she believes I still have an ulcer that needs to heal but I am also going to cut out dairy. Boy is that hard! I eat dairy all the time! Its in everything! Plus I love cheese! My son is nicknamed "cheesy head".

So Friday night after Scott checked into his job we went out to eat at this fantastic Mongolian Grill in Chantilly VA. If you haven't been I would highly suggest you try it out. 


At first I wasn't to sure about going. I thought the food would be really greasy and I would end up getting sick. But this place ended up being one of my top favorite places to eat! I felt full afterwards and my stomach didn't hurt!


Judah was a teething mess. Being in the car for 4 hours straight and teething made him pretty cranky. Chopsticks are a great distraction while we tried to eat as fast as we could before his next outburst.


Last night Scott and I sat down and brainstormed some ideas of things to eat that don't have dairy.  That meant no yogurt, 2% milk for my cereal, butter or cheese. We decided to go to Wegmans to see if they had any good soy substitutes and load up on fruits, veggies, chicken, fish and rice. 


Today was a success! We stocked up on many fresh fruits and veggies. We found some coconut milk and this really yummy organic "its not cheese" spread. Its completely dairy free. Once we got home I made a mini bagel with egg whites and chives, then I put a tiny amount of the "its not cheese spread" onto the bagel. Oh my word its yummier than an Einsteins bagel meal and it didn't hurt my stomach! I tried the coconut milk and it had this semi sweet smooth taste. I can't wait to try it in my morning cereal.


For the rest of the day I did a great job on avoiding dairy. I even turned down Scott and his moms yummy pastries they got at La Madeline while I had my haircut. Even though the pastries probably didn't have milk, I knew that they might hurt the ulcer in my stomach. Tonight we ended up grilling some BBQ chicken, corn on the cob and beans. It may be hard changing my entire diet all around, believe me I love dairy. But its so worth it, I'm so tired of having a stomach that constantly feels like it has food poisoning. This is the first night in I don't know how long that my stomach actually isn't aching in some way. Hopefully in time these choices will become habits and my body will start feeling better in general. In the mean time I have to find some creative non dairy ideas for breakfast/lunch/dinner and snack.  Do you have any good non dairy foods you love to eat? 


(If you get a chance please double click the box and vote for our blog)
Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

8 comments:

  1. I hope cutting out dairy helps! I have issues eating dairy too. I love that So Delicious coconut milk, that company also makes a really good dairy free ice cream... it's my favorite! Coconut milk is my favorite, but I use unsweetened almond milk for recipes that call for milk. Even for baking! You can just replace the milk for almond milk and it works fine. Earth balance butter is dairy free, but tastes almost exactly like butter :) Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband is severely lactose intolerant, so he has to check the labels on everything! (there is some weird stuff out there that has dairy that you would never expect!). One "cheese" recommendation I have is a brand called Daiya. They sell it shredded and also in blocks now (i think?). It's the most real tasting fake cheese that he's found. It melts really well! We also use Earth Balance butter and it's really good! Let me know if you have any other questions. My husband lost like 20 lbs when he stopped eating dairy, but then he figured out all the substitutes for baking, etc. haha. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am lactose intolerant as well. I can eat cheese but ice cream or real milk - - - oh it's BAD. :( I hope that cutting out dairy helps you.
    BTW - I can also eat yogurt. The enzymes in cheese and yogurt help digest the lactose. You may find that you can have small amounts of those things and still be okay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so hope that cutting out dairy helps you, mama! I'm a big dairy drinker and eater and when I did my detoxes, I had to cut it all out. It was tough but I did feel SO much better.

    Non-dairy smoothies are delicious - just blend up some fresh fruit, a few ice cubes, and some soy or coconut milk. Add in a little honey or agave nectar. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There are lots of dairy products that are lactose free. I couldn't stand the taste of soy or rice milk, so I tried regular milk that is lactose free (Lactaid). They also make lactose free yogurt (lactaid brand), Yoplait has a brand new lactose free line, and there is a soy version, that isn't terrible. Hard cheeses tend to have less lactose than soft cheeses. I've even seen lactose free pudding. You quickly learn what works and what doesn't. There are these "probiotic" suplements you can take. Walgreens typically carries them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you find out what works for you. I love the little green bowtie, he is such a cutie too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so glad you got answers! xoxo.
    my mom drinks almond milk.. not sure if that is lactose free, but something to look into?

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have cut dairy out too. My mom is allergic and I'm pretty sure I inherited her allergy as well as my kids. It took awhile for me to finally cut it all out, I just lived feeling sick to my stomach after most meals, but I'm so glad we did. My favorite non dairy thing is banana cream. You just freeze bananas and then put them in a high powered blender or food processor with a little coconut or almond milk, a bit of cinnamon and if you want you can add vanilla. It's so good! I always feel like I'm eating ice cream, but I'm not and I don't end up with a stomach ache! We have also had cheeseless pizza and it's actually really good. So glad you found some relief!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.