Friday, May 25, 2012

splash of color




I'm pretty embarrassed of some of my living spaces in our home. You see all my life I've moved from place to place and we never stayed in one place long enough to truly call it a home. When Scott and I got married it was really hard to make his home my home. He has already lived here for 8 years with roommates and it was hard for me to visualize a place that I am not going move from to call it a home.
Scott has decided before we got married, since he knew my past and how much it broke my heart to move from home to home, not really having a home that we are going to live here for awhile and he was going to allow me to make this place our home. After two years, I'm finally ready.
This is what my dining room looked like earlier this week. We just installed the fan, my pictures are not exactly even on the wall and I have a storage area for my yarn and inventory.  I wanted to take my yarn and inventory out of the dining room, paint the walls and reupholster Scott's chairs. 


The space has potential. Have you seen the danish teak dining room set? I think they will really stand out once I reupholster the seats. Also I love the vintage suitcase my mother in law gave my husband years ago and the vintage record player we thrifted a few months ago. I've recently thrifted a record holder as well.


Yesterday I went to home depot and picked up a sample of paint called "Sugar Pool". I love the color so much and wanted my husband to love it so I went a little crazy and used the entire sample on the wall. Just look at how the new color brightens the room.


Scott came home and loved the color so much we went out and bought a gallon of paint and spent the entire night into early morning painting our dinning room. Painting is pretty special for us. Its how we met. We were painting a mutual friends home a few years ago. 


I love this color so much! We are giving it a day or so to see if we need another coat, but so far it looks like we may just need one. After we finished painting last night Scott and I pulled up our chairs and stared at the walls for about 20 minutes, just talking about how amazing a bucket of paint can transform a dining room and how my heart now feels that this place is our home. That painting our home is healing something with in my heart that was broken years ago. This weekend I am planning on hanging some pretty pictures on the wall and maybe finding fabric for the chairs. 


Scott and I had a wonderful time on our date night tonight. We grabbed some Sushi at a place my sister in law recommended called Sushi Jin. I thought the sushi was really good and the atmosphere was perfect for a date night. Instead of visiting thrift stores we went grocery shopping at Wegmans. We found some yummy dairy free coconut ice-cream and brought it back to his parents house. Judah had a blast with his grandparents but immediately wanted me to hold him when he heard my voice, that lasted about two minutes before he was off running looking for more toys to play with. Then Scott's mom and I spent almost an hour looking through her old childhood toys. I promised that I would bring my camera next time so I could share her fantastic treasures with everyone. She has the original barbie doll with an entire wardrobe of cloths for her! I was so excited looking through treasures and sharing childhood memories I could have stayed all night, but Judah was getting tired and we had to go home. 

I forgot to take a picture of us tonight on our "real date" but I thought I would share a picture from one we had a few weeks ago at Myrtle Beach. I love my husband and how he makes me laugh. Tonight was a good night to reconnect with him, hold hands, talk, laugh and look at strange foods at Wegmans. Our hearts needed this date night tonight. 





(If you get a chance please double click the box and vote for our blog)
Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

13 comments:

  1. That shade of blue is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep wanting to pinch myself because I am so in love with the color :-) we actually started to pain our living room as well (thats connected to the dining room) with the same color :-)

      Delete
  2. wow it loos AWESOME! and I love that record player! and the chairs - ps theyre "your" chairs too :) - but theyre really nice, love them! You picked such a great color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha ha ha your sound like Scott! Everytime I say "your house" he says "our house" :-) I wish you were here to help me pick the fabric for the chairs! :-)

      Delete
  3. Love the color. What a cute blog you have! Glad you stopped by my blog. Have a nice long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the blue, and so cool that you're feeling even more comfortable in your home. We don't' do a lot of decorating, per se, mostly just a lot of hanging random shit on the wall, haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing! Well hopefully did the same thing. Now I am trying to be more purposeful with my decorating. Making the space as peaceful and as cheery as possible :-)

      Delete
  5. I love all the healing that has been happening in the last few weeks! I notice good changes in your future. That is so good for a family. You have a great foundation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Me to! My heart seems like it has taken on this wonderfully sweet transformation :-)

      Delete
  6. The dining room is going to be amazing! That color is so pretty and I am swooning over the dining room table set.

    Date nights are so necessary. My husband and I definitely need more of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We totally lucked out with the dining room set, it came with the house when my husband purchased it :-)

      I didn't realize how necessary date nights are till we actually had one, I feel we are now back on the same track and connected :-)

      Delete
  7. That is such a great shade of blue! It's amazing the difference that a little bit of color can make, isn't it? (Makes me wish we weren't in a rental right now and could paint to my heart's content!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.