Wednesday, May 16, 2012

hotel living


I'll be honest, I can't wait to be home and back in our own little routine. I can only stay away from home for so long before I get homesick and being in a one bedroom hotel with a toddler who refuses to nap is pretty hard. The goal for each day is to see how many fun things Judah and I can do to completely exhaust him for a nap or so he will sleep through the night. He has been great with sleeping through the night, especially since we pushed our bed against a wall and he is able to co-sleep with me.

We start off our mornings by eating breakfast and then head down to the beach for some running time. I will walk closely by Judah as he runs around the beach. He occasionally runs back to me for some snuggles and to try to feed me sand that he calls "num nuns".





When we are finished with the beach we typically either walk or ride bikes up and down the boardwalk. 


Today I road a bike till he almost fell asleep in the back. I thought "Yes! I tricked him, I need to get back to the hotel for a nap." That was two hours ago and he is still talking to me from his crib across the room. 


I also like to take him to all the local parks with in walking distance. Today they had a fun health event that we were able to catch the tail end of. Judah liked to dance with the "tall man" on stilts. 






Or I will bring him outside and let him play soccer. If its raining out I let him run up and down the hotel hallways with his soccer ball or yesterday I took him to the hotel gym and let him walk on the lowest setting on the treadmill. I always hold onto him when he does this and he can only last 5 minutes. 



After our morning activities I typically give Judah a bath and then lay him down to sleep while I try to take a shower. My hope is that he won't see me for a bit and then fall asleep on his own. I do turn the TV on very low to some sort of boring Court TV show to act as white noise. The cleaning people can be loud and I can't keep the patio door open because kids are screaming on the beach and Virginia Beach has the really loud Jets that fly over randomly. I also make sure the room is semi dark, he has a bottle, his favorite pillow and his dog Scout that plays "sleepy time" music. So far he has had one great nap since we have been here, he will normally stand up on the crib try to rock it over, laugh at me, try to gag himself to get a reaction from me or scream because he is just so tired but can't manage to sleep in the hotel.  After awhile I just pick him up, walk him around or strap him into his stroller for another stroll along the beach. This is rough since I have him for 12 hours while Scott is at work, once he comes home Judah is essentially sleep deprived and super cranky. I'm pretty homesick, missing his room and our routine at home. I'm sure their is a better way to getting your kid to nap in a hotel and maybe one day I'll figure out the "perfect hotel living nap routine", but for now I'll keep trying to do fun activities to wear him out.




(If you get a chance please double click the box and vote for our blog)
Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you are having a good time, minus the little fella not napping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are! :-) He actually napped for 3 hours after I posted this yesterday :-) :-)

      Delete
  2. You are my hero! Seriously, no nap is rough. Looks like you are so making the best of it though! I have to say, the gagging thing is so hard for me to handle. When my kids do it I immediately imagine cleaning up puke. I always try not to react, but do not manage very well. You are never going to forget this vacation! I bet even though it's been challenging, you will look back with fond memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't' the gagging remind you of goonies when chunk was explaining the throw up and then you want to throw up? Agh I hate the gagging noise. Hopefully he will stop doing it before Scott and I decide to have another baby so I am not pregnant while Judah is trying to "pretend" to gag or I will for real throw up. This vacation has been amazing so far :-) even with all the non naps :-)

      Delete
  3. Looks like a lot of fun!! I remember doing the hotel thing with my first. It can be hard but in the end I remember it being so much fun and out of the normal routine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having allot of fun :-) I do like that Judah gets to co-sleep with me bc we pushed the bed agains the wall. Even if he skips his naps he does sleep pretty hard at night, not sure if its bc of the ocean or that I wore him out during the day :-)

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.