Tuesday, May 8, 2012

having a fitcation




I wanted to still achieve my fitness goals even though we are on vacation. Normally when we go way for  a vacation or when Judah and I join Scott on work travel I end up gaining a few pounds on the trip. We always end up eating out and its hard to keep up on a work out regimen if you don't plan on one in advance. This time around I planned on having a "fit cation". First I took my 30 Day Shred DVD and weights with us and planned on carving out 20 minutes a day to dedicate to this workout routine. So far I've done 9 days straight and am feeling pretty good about it!


Occasionally Judah likes to join me.


Also I've taken advantage of the gorgeous gym downstairs. Scott is able to stay with Judah during his afternoon naps (which have been him just laying in his crib and singing, not so much sleeping) while I go downstairs and jump on the bike and elliptical for about an hour. This gives me time to catch up on my summer reading reading while enjoying the ocean view. 


We walk everywhere! A really cute boardwalk area about two miles down from our condo that we like to walk to. Once we get there we let Judah run around for a bit and then head on back, we do have to be very disciplined on not purchasing the boardwalk fries, hot dogs, or funnel cake. Believe me this is hard, but we can do it, I will not eat funnel cake on our vacation.


We also like to walk the beach as much as possible not only for the view but also for the leg burn. Walking the beach is really hard, especially if your pushing your almost 30 pound baby.


Sometimes Judah wants to help out with pushing the stroller. 


A very key component to this vacation is that we decided since we have a full kitchen we are going to eat in as much as possible. Yesterday we made a list of meals and went out to the local grocery store to stock up on fruit, veggies, chicken and healthy snacks. Last night I cooked our first meal here and honestly you can't beat a healthy home cooked meal and eating it outside while listening to the ocean. 
 We also brought our Brita Water pitcher so we always have cold clean water in the refrigerator to fill up our water bottles and I brought our hot water dispenser for our morning and evening tea.


Hopefully these changes will help us not gain that vacation weight and in fact maybe we will actually lose a few pounds when the vacation is over. 

Also side note, I am notorious for getting food poisoning that's another reason why we decided to eat in so I have less of a chance of getting it. Their is nothing worse than being sick on your vacation. Hopefully we will prevent it this time around. 


(If you get a chance please double click the box and vote for our blog)
Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

13 comments:

  1. i totally want to be on that ferris wheel right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Your braver than I!!!! Ferris Wheels scare me!!! Scott asked me if I wanted to go on one and I had to ask him to remember how I cried in the car when we went down a steep hill in San Fran. Heights + me = bad combo ;-)

      Delete
  2. Good for you! Staying fit while on vacation is tough! Looks like you're having a great time :) So jealous of you being on the beach right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Its really difficult, especially when we walk to the Boardwalk area that has the funnel cake or when I think goodness a diet coke would taste so sweet right now or a Starbucks coffee. But then I think about how the food will probably kill my stomach and how I would waste all those hours logged in with Jillian Michaels kicking my but ;)

      Delete
  3. Glad you are having a nice vacation. I just started following your blog. I love it! I really liked The Red Tent too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trish! Welcome :-)
      I forgot how much I love the book! I am almost finished with it and we are going to goodwill this morning to see if I can find any other great books to read while on vacation
      :-)

      Delete
  4. So great that you've kept with it! I do not have that kind of motivation :-/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But your walking up mini mountain trails by your house! ;-)
      It took me awhile to start then stop then start and stop again. This time I just need to make the 30 days. Just to see if Jillian is right on her claim or if I just need to get a golds gym membership and start taking my classes again ;-)

      Delete
  5. Go girl! Looks like vaca is going amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!! It really is! I never thought it would be this great and I hope that it stays this way till the end of vacation :-)

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a really fun way to vacation! I love it! Oh, and there's nothing worse than having food poisoning on a vacation, its awful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! i am so proud of you. i love to work out and do it nearly every day at home. however, when i go on vacation...i'm a total slacker. unless...does chasing three babies count as exercise?? surely that's torching some calories, right? ha.
    looks like you guys had a blast and you stayed on track! yay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so my hero! I don't know that I have ever exercised on vacation, but I have planned to almost every time! I totally agree with the eating in part though. Nothing beat fresh, homemade meals. Oh, and I just started the Red Tent recently! So far I really love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.