Wednesday, April 18, 2012

delicious and easy lunch




Being a stay at home mom I don't have much time to put allot of thought into lunch for myself. Once Judah lays down for a nap I try to pick out something quick and easy which in most cases is not really healthy. Ramon noodle and a PB&J sandwich are not good for my waistline or my mood. The sugars give me a sugar high in which I crash and crave more sugar and Ramon noodle gives me a headache. On our weekly Friday date and grocery shopping trip at Wegmans I noticed they had a vegan bar and they were serving these yummy portobello mushroom pizzas. I tried them out and was surprised at how good they were. So I grabbed some ingredients to make some for myself at home. 

All you need is 
Portobello Mushroom Caps (I used to the mini ones)
Can of Ro-tel canned tomatoes (this was easier than chopping up tomatoes and peppers)
1 slice of Fat Free Sargento Pepper Jack Cheese (you can choose whatever cheese you want)
Tin Foil (easier clean up)
Toaster Oven (you can do this in the regular oven)

You can also add whatever toppings you desire. 



I turned my toaster oven on at 350 degrees.
Took out the stems of the mushrooms and cleaned and patted them dry. 
Scooped out the Ro-tel into the mushrooms and layered some cheese on top.
I used the tin foil so I can just throw it out when the pizzas are finished baking.


Baked for 30 minutes or until golden. You can bake a bit longer if you want them crispier. 
While they baked I was able to catch up on some blogs, pick up the kitchen and check on Judah.


This was a very delicious and easy lunch! I was full after these two mushrooms and have plenty left over for tomorrows lunch or even a snack for later. 


This lunch was only 2 weight watchers points, any basic frozen lean cuisine meal is an average of 6 points and typically leave you feeling like you need to eat more. Also these mini pizzas are vegetarian and gluten free. 


(If you get a chance please double click the box and vote for our blog)
Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

10 comments:

  1. What an absolutely adorable lunch! If I had to guess that looks low carb too. I am a first time commenter and I just wanted to encourage you. I have been reading your blog for sometime now and it is the highlight of my days! You are so cheerful and creative. You are such a light for Christ, keep it up friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is low carb! ha I didn't even think about that :-)
      I have to get better with getting healthy creative with my lunches.
      You are truly the sweetest! I read your comment when I was at the Drs (a few hours after lunch) and you absolutely made my day
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Yum! One thing I make that's pretty easy peasy, and similar, are mini zucchini pizzas. Basically I slice a zucchini, dip each side in olive oil, and put them under the broiler for two minutes each side. I also add salt and pepper to both sides. Then I add the pizza sauce and cheese, broil for another minute and a half and it's good to go! I'm sure there's a way to make it in the toaster oven too. Thanks for this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am drooling!!!! I read this out loud to Scott and this weekend we are stocking up on Zucchini to make this! :-)

      Delete
  3. This is such a great idea! My husband and I work from home so we will totally try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good!!! Let me know how you like it. I think the can of salsa I bought might have been a tad bit spicy for my tummy. But other than that it was a great meal. Let me know if you come up with anything. Im always always looking for quick healthy and creative lunch ideas. The salads just kinda get old after awhile ;-)

      Delete
  4. we are big fans of stuff like that in our house. one of my favorites is an english muffin with some brie and pear toasted for a bit. nOM NOM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought mushrooms today to try this! Although i have no idea how you were full after only two. I fully plan to eat at least 4. If not more. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! I think I only ate two because the hot salsa killed my ulcer or what ever is going on in my stomach ;-) next time I need to make it with less intense salsa ha ha

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.