Thursday, April 19, 2012

colorful crochet tutorial and thrift finds




A few weeks ago I found some embroidery frames at the thrift store. I picked them up with a project in mind to make my bedroom walls pop with some color. The inspiration I had for the embroidery frame craft was my granny square blanket that I am still working on. I wanted to incorporate the colorful  popcorn stitched flower that's in the blanket for wall design. 


I have a drawer full of vintage fabric that I've thrifted over the years and wanted to use that as the background. I crochet some tiny colorful popcorn stitched flowers and stitched the flowers onto the vintage fabric. If you do want to try this out at home I used an H hook, you can use any size depending on how big you want your flower. This is the pattern I created for the popcorn flower, feel free to leave questions in the comment section if you have any and I'll do my best to explain the pattern to you. 

Popcorn Stitch Flower Pattern 
(I used red heart yarn)

Chain 4, join with slip stitch to form a ring
Round 1: Chain 1, 8 single crochet in ring, join with slip stitch in first single crochet
Round 2: Chain 3 (counts as Double Crochet), 4 double crochet in first stitch, take out the crochet needle count 5 stitch's and join the first and last stitch, chain 2, 5 double crochet in next stitch, take the crochet needle out count 5 stitches and join the first and last stitch, chain 2 and repeat till you have 5 double crochet joined together in all 8 stitches. Once finished chain off and tie. 


Now I have cute mini frames to hang on my wall. This was super easy to make and while I was thrifting today I picked up some larger frames along with some floral fabric to make more.


 I also picked up this mini vintage children's chair for $4 that I am going to strip and repaint. I am thinking it would make a great red reading chair for Judah or I may just keep the natural color.


After thrifting we stopped by a local park to let Judah get his wiggles out. He was really tired and was scream talking towards the end. I knew it was time to go home and he put up a fuss. But as soon as he was strapped into the car seat he took one look at me, put his hand on my face and just let out this sigh of relief because he is going home. My son is even sweet in the middle of a tantrum and can leave my heart in a puddle. 


This week I am working on updating my shop with a handful of Elephant hats! I am making them in all different sizes and should have them listed by tomorrow! 


I'm so grateful the weather is so perfect and spring like outside today. Once Judah wakes up from his nap we are going to go on a long neighborhood walk to check out the flowers. 



(If you get a chance please double click the box and vote for our blog)
Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

7 comments:

  1. that chair would look spectacular in red! go for it! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I am leaning more towards the red, or maybe a mustard yellow....but red is more a school color so I might end up doing that ;-)

      Delete
  2. Ahh, beautiful! I REALLY love your blanket, and embroidery hoops.

    I bought my own embroidery hoop a few weeks ago and have had immense fun making crazy looking trees with my sewing machine- it is quite therapeutic.

    I have two thrifted wooden kids chairs in a gloss red- really brings out their retro vibe.

    Lovely blog :)

    I came here from Blue Eyed Owl, I too blog on parenting, crafting and vintage finds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh I am so jealous that you actually know how to use your sewing machine's embroidery function! I was gifted a singer sewing machine (a great machine) for my wedding, the actual gift was broken so I brought it back and they gave me a brand new one and I have been to fearful to actually try it out. So it has been sitting in a box in my room for two years!

      Which type of paint did you use for your chairs? Does it rub off on the wall (like if the chair is push up against a wall). I spray painted a huge mirror frame a few weeks go and the blue paint (its this gorgeous teal blue) rubs off on the wall :-/

      Im going to have to check your blog out! Looks like we have similar interests ;-)
      xo

      Delete
  3. Your blog - and your baby - are SO darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was planning on putting together some embroidery to hang around the house. LOVE the idea of doing it on a printed fabric. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.