Sunday, March 4, 2012

two ER visits




I'm forcing myself to sit down and blog about this, because right now Judah is napping and I want to Lysol/scrub my house but I would just be running in circles with my Lysol can because I am exhausted and I just don't know what to do first because I have the events of last night all jumbled up in my brain. I wanted my next blog post to be about our fun daytime family date at Reston Town Center yesterday. I wanted to share how after I ran 2.6 miles we decided to get Froyo, I tried on some things at Anthropology, Judah laughed hysterically at each dog he saw and cried woefully as we left each one, how Scott finally tried this burger place that he has been eyeing for years and how I was good and didn't eat any, how we walked around for two hours and ended up at Barnes and Nobles and let Judah play with the trains and how we ended the night with one of the best dinners I have made in my married life (baked salmon and potatoes). But around midnight Scott came downstairs, I was staying up late to catch up on some crochet orders. He told me that he has really bad food poisoning and that I might have to give him his glucagon because his blood sugars kept dropping. I was on alert, Scott never ever suggests the glucagon unless he is seriously sick. So I went upstairs and started packing Judah a mini hospital bag of diapers/cloths/toys ect in case Scott had to go to the ER. I suggested that I call Kaiser and ask them when I should take Scott to the Drs., as I was on the phone with the nurse I heard Judah screaming, I ran into the room and said "its okay, mommy and daddy are here". Judah is still co-sleeping and I thought he woke up and was scared because we were not around. But when I got closer I noticed chunks of white stuff on his face and nose, I turned on the light and Judah had saturated our pillows, sheets and comforter in vomit. I have never seen so much vomit in my life, he had it up his nose and it was still coming up. So I started freaking out. They don't train you on what to do if your baby is puking. He kept choking on his puke and it was allot. Scott took the phone and talked to Kaiser. They were not super clear on when I should take either Scott or Judah to Kaisers walk in clinic. They told us to wait for an hour to give Judah anything to drink. I didn't think that was right, he couldn't stop puking and I kept thinking he is going to get really dehydrated because he is so little. In one hour Judah puked 15 times and it was turning yellow (bile).



 So we decided to go ahead and go to Kaiser. In the car Scott was in the backseat with Judah as I drove. A few mins into the drive I hear Scott yelling"Judah! Judah! Wake up!! Judah!, Jess he is not responding!" So I called Kaiser who told me to call 911. I called 911 and they asked me to pull over so they can send the EMT's to us. We pulled over at the 7/11 off of 123. The EMTS arrived and decided they wanted to take both Scott and Judah in. I followed behind them to Fairfax hospital.



When we arrived at the hospital the EMT and nurse were trying to convince Scott to check in which he finally decided to do so after he was sick again in the hospital bathroom. I was helping the nurse check in Judah. He was pretty much listless, like a baby rag doll and he was so pale that he had a blue line above his mouth. He looked scary. It took the nurses over an hour to give him his IV and take his blood. His veins were not as visible because he was so dehydrated. I was angry at myself for listening to Kaiser for not giving him fluids for awhile and my heart was breaking over my little boy who was screaming, then roll his eyes to fall asleep and then scream again because of all the poking around. 


After about 30 mins of the IV Judah started becoming his normal self, smiling, flirting, talking. The nurse came in and she was shocked at how fast Judah was turning around. I was still confused as to what made him so sick. She thought it was a stomach virus going around. 


They kept him a bit longer, gave him 3 units of the IV. 


And because the nurses fell in love with my sweet boy he scored his first Popsicle.



Judah was released and we checked in on Scott. I've never seen my husband so sick. His whole body was in agony, he couldn't stop throwing up and the meds the drs were giving him were not working. The nurse came in and suggested that Judah and I go home, that the hospital is full of germs and we would get sicker if we hung around. I didn't want Scott to be alone so I begged him to at least call his dad to see if he would sit with him for a bit. 

Once I got Judah home I changed him out of his puke stained cloths into a PJs. Gave him the rest of his pedialite and made a bed for both of us on the living room flood while I stuck the sheets from the upstairs bed into the wash. Judah was crawling around, talking to me and his toys and then he looked straight at me and puked everything up, the Popsicle the pedialite, everything. I felt so alone because I had no idea what to do and didn't have anyone to ask. Judah ended up falling right to sleep and I just snuggled right next to him and watched him. I maybe slept for an hour, woke up thinking that maybe Scott was already released but he was still really sick. 


Thankfully one of my friends Laura was able to stop by with some diapers/wipes/Gatorade and pick up Judah's prescription for us. I wasn't able to leave the house with Judah still sick.


So here it is...a few hours later. Scott is still at the hospital, they admitted him and I really don't have any information on him because people are with holding it from me. Instead of being totally stressed about it I am going to focus on getting Judah well and making sure our home is clean of puke for when Scott finally comes home to us. 


Please keep us in your prayers, the last few hours have been pretty nightmarish for our family and honestly I have never felt more alone and scared in my life. 



(If you get a chance please double click the box and vote for our blog)
Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

22 comments:

  1. I cannot imagine what you guys are going through. You've been so unbelievably brave and I know it's s very very lonely place to be. You guys were in my thoughts all night and have stayed there. So much love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your encouraging words!
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. Oh, how awful! Just prayed for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tasha thank you for your prayers! They were def felt
      xoxo

      Delete
  3. So many prayers and positive thoughts coming your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jess! We def felt everyones prayers!
      xoxo

      Delete
  4. I can't even begin to imagine how scary that must be to have your son ad husband sick at the same time. Just know you all are in my thoughts <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was probably the scariest weekend of my life, thank you so much for your positive thoughts and words!
      xoxo

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry! I am praying for you guys! Hope everyone is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amanda for your prayers! It looks like my guys are finally on the upswing
      xoxo

      Delete
  6. Hi Jessica, my name is Rebecca. You don't know me, but I know of you and have been praying for you and your family for a while now. I was one of the students that was in Scott's youth group back in 2001-2004. His college roommate is my cousin:) Through connections I've long since forgotten, I've been following your blog and etsy for a while and just feel so deep for you, my sister in Christ! I am so sorry to hear of this latest ER episodes and am lifting you and your family in prayer, that you may not despair but feel God's peace and comfort. I pray that you have time to have a cup of coffee today and read God's promises in his words. A recent song on my heart has been "Your Love Never Fails" by Jesus Culture - I pray it blesses your heart today and encourages you that tomorrow is a new day full of His mercies! ~ Rebecca H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca!!

      I am so sorry to take so long to respond, thank you so much for your encouraging words and your prayers, they truly meant so much to us. When I went to the hospital I read your comment to my husband and he was encouraged by you. Judah and Scott are on the upswing of things. Scott is almost 100% better (which is amazing) and Judah hasn't been sick in over 24 hours! Another praise :-)

      I am so encouraged by your words
      thank you so much
      xoxo

      Delete
  7. I am in shock after reading this, i have been following along on ig, but had no idea how horribly sick Judah got. I am so sorry and I am praying that Scott gets better as quickly as possible. God Bless your family.
    Sophia Cox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophia thank you so much for your prayers and encouragement, it was a hard weekend thats for sure and I don't know if I could have gotten through as well as I did if it wasn't for everyone's encouragement and prayers.
      Thank you again
      xoxo

      Delete
  8. lifting your precious family up in prayers...that is really tough and I think it's great that you're just focusing on getting your little boy better. I'll be praying for both your boys. My hubby was hospitalized last week too and it's so hard. I didn't go with him because I wanted to protect our little girl inside me, but it was so hard letting him go to the ER without me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brianna thank you so much for your prayers! Oh wow is your hubby better? Its tough trusting our guys to medical care (or at least it is for me). I know when I was pregnant with Judah they had me stay outside of the hospital or at home the few times Scott was in the hospital, they said the place is full of germs and they didn't want to put my baby in harms way. I know you did the right thing. I hope your hubby is back on his feet and well.
      xoxo

      Delete
  9. i hope everything is ok. i'm so sorry to read this... :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jamie! Things are on the upswing :-)
      xoxo

      Delete
  10. Your family is in our prayers. I am so sorry you have to go through this... I cannot even begin to imagine. From your husband being sick, to your baby, the ambulance, and now not knowing what's going on. Praying for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie thank you so much for your prayers! It was really really rough, just driving behind the ambulance it was hard to keep my composure as I saw my husband puking in the ambulance as Judah was on the stretcher like a little rag doll. It was rough :-( but they are on the upswing! Prayerfully this doesn't happen again. It was super hard on my heart.

      Thank you for your prayers
      xoxo

      Delete
  11. Your family will be in my prayers!

    I also wanted to comment saying I think we have a lot in common.
    My sons name is Judah too! :)
    I love to thrift and crochet as well!
    I am now following your blog. Follow me back if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your prayers! We sure did appreciate and feel them!

      Wow thats amazing! How old is your son? How did you all decide to name him Judah? I've met one other Judah out there :-)

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.