Saturday, February 25, 2012

how to rest

I have a problem....I don't know how to rest and I've had this problem for as long as I could remember. My husband actually offers to pay me to take naps and he is serious about giving me money for taking one. Maybe the reason why I don't know how to rest is from the years of working in full time ministry, I always had my emails sent to my phone and allowed myself to essentially be "on call" at all times. I would receive around 200+ emails over the weekends. Then I think my rest issues progressed even more when I became a full time mom to Judah. I didn't sleep well while I was pregnant with him and after he arrived I would use the times he took naps or when he went down for the night to accomplish a million other things. Today was pretty brutal, my husband woke us all up at 7:30 am because he thought we had a spider in the bed, after we frantically searched the entire room, shook out the blankets and sheets we were to wound up to go back to sleep. 

We went downstairs, I made breakfast and some extra strong coffee. After playing with Judah for a bit I told Scott that I was going to go upstairs to take a mini nap since I was dragging extra hard. I try to make sure our bedroom is a place of comfort with our california king bed, super comfy comforter and lots and lots of pillows. I wanted to make sure I can "rest" in my room. As I was trying to fall back to sleep I was watching the trees bend and sway in the wind and noticed snow flakes. I got excited, jumped out of bed and ran downstairs to tell Scott and Judah. My nap quickly forgotten, I had a temporary burst of energy like I do when I get the opportunity to actually rest and forgot about rest till I was dragging again a few hours later. 

Im jealous of both my husband and son. They know how to rest. Thank God Judah inherited this from his father. 


I dont understand how this concept of rest is so hard for me. My husband can close his eyes anywhere and with in 5 mins he is snoring, we could be in the middle of a hurricane/tornado/end of the world and he could still fall asleep. For me I can "think Im asleep" but realize hours later that I was just so focused on all my thoughts that I was lying down awake in deep thought. 

My rest issues don't even start and end with sleep. Its also with trying to sit still and not feel like I have to always do something. During the weekends my husband tells me to rest, relax, to go upstairs and take a nap. But I always feel the need to organize/clean/cook/crochet or take care of Judah. 

Maybe one day I will actually figure out this whole be still and rest thing, but until then Im sure I will be personally keeping Starbucks in business.





(If you get a chance please double click the box and vote for our blog)
Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

7 comments:

  1. Wow, you definitely sound like you have an overactive brain, a bit like me!
    Although, I have to say, 200 emails in one weekend would drive me bonkers and I think my brain would explode!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally have an over active brain! What do you do to make it stop at night to sleep?

      It did drive me bonkers (200 emails) thats why I realized once I became a mom I couldn't handle all the work from work and being a mom so we decided for me to be stay at home ;-)

      Delete
  2. That's the sweetest picture ever! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you <3
      I swear half of my saved pictures are of Judah sleeping :-)

      Delete
  3. I know how you feel! Every time I lay down at night my mind keeps racing a hundred miles a minute. And I feel guilty I'm resting because there are so many other things I could be doing. We need to learn how to rest! Is there a class?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes if their is a class sign me up! I am the same way, I feel so guilty for not doing all these other things

      Delete
  4. I honestly can't do it either! My mind is also always running a million miles a minute. I wish I could shut off my thinking for just a bit!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.