Wednesday, February 1, 2012

2.5 Hour Root Canal


Remember how I told you how I found out that my previous dentist left a broken part of her tool in my mouth 2.5 years ago when she did my first root canal. Well today was the day I was scheduled to see a new dentist to redo my root canal. Let me tell you, I was scared out of my mind, meaning I arrived early, really felt comfortable about the place, but as soon as I finished my paperwork I could feel my palms start to sweat, my heart was racing and my stomach started to hurt. Then they called my name. Scott sent me these pictures right when I walked in.




I knew I couldn't run away, I had to get fixed at least for my son Judah. The dental assistant was wonderful, she walked me to my chair and I nervously told her how scared I was. She reassured me that Dr. Ngo is one of the best. That I'll probably be bored during the procedure....Um bored... no this is a root canal I am not going to be bored. 

She took my x-rays (I really wish I snapped a picture of my tooth but I was afraid to get the Drs annoyed with me). You could see everything, the break where the instrument was, the gunk, everything. Finally Dr Ngo came in and we talked. He said that the procedure will be hard since I have curved roots but it shouldn't take to long.

He was great at numbing my mouth. My bad dentist actually was upset with me because it took awhile for me to numb and I had to stop her at one point to go and cry in the bathroom. But this time Dr Ngo and his assistant sat with me, talked about Judah, my blog and my crochet business.  After about 10 mins he had me run some tests to make sure my mouth was numb.  I was impressed, my bad dentist was so rushed and she didn't bother to run these simple tests with me. When they put the dam in my mouth they also put this little wedge on the other side of my mouth. The wedge was to help me relax my mouth and not have to hold it open the entire time because the wedge kept it open.

My feet were shaking and my entire body was tense when the procedure started. He had "Adele" playing on repeat and he was humming along and talking to me. After awhile I started to hum along! I was at ease, my foot stopped shaking and I was relaxed, I even stopped sitting on my hands. They were right I was bored, but I was better than bored, I felt safe and I knew I was getting repaired. The procedure was only supposed to take about an hour but since my old dentist used some really bad filling material that was hard to get out the procedure took 2.5 hours. At one point the Dr asked if I wanted to stop and start another day. I asked could we keep going and he said he would prefer to but wanted to make sure I was okay with it. I just wanted to get it done. My tooth is finally cleaned, all the gunk is out and right now I have some antibiotics in my roots. That will hold till we get back from Virginia beach in about two weeks. Then I will go in for the filling. 

This is me after the 2.5 hour procedure waiting for my medication, my mouth felt like it was a billion times bigger than this. 


Scott and Judah are my heroes today. Scott took today off and I was able to have peace of mind with someone being with Judah. He also brought me some mashed potatoes. 


I'm now about to head to bed. My mouth is pretty sore and the Dr has me on two different pain meds for the first few days. He said that normal people feel better after 2 days, but since my root canal was so bad and it took him so long to fix it that it might take 4-5 days with me. 


If anyone is in the DC area and wants this Dr's information leave me a comment, I will be more than happy to share. Also he called me today and had me run some tests on my tooth to make sure that it was okay. My previous dentist never called me afterwards. I'm so grateful that I am on the road to recovery with my tooth. It has been hurting for over 5 years now.


(Please double click to vote for our blog!)


Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

14 comments:

  1. What a trooper! Root canals, ugh!
    I saw your comment on my blog and came over here to check your out. Glad I did, I am enjoying the posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awe thanks!
      Thank goodness the new dentist is amazing Im feeling a billion times better than I did with my org root canal :-)

      Delete
  2. *** this just in: YOU ARE A ROCKSTAR!!!! Way to make it thru sweetpea!!! *** also... any dentist that has Adele on repeat, is a friend of mine!!!! For reals! :) PRAYING you feel better today and thinking of you!!!
    Love Love,
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awe thanks sweet friend
      Oh I am so in love with Adele!!! I need to get her CD now, can you believe I don't have it yet :-)

      Delete
  3. That's fantastic! I hate hate hate the dentist and know I have to get a root canal soon, but I am ridiculously terrified. Congratulations on making it through it so calm and relaxed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness please do your research and go with a dentist that you know someone has personally used. My nightmare dentist was written up in Washingtonians top 100 dentists in the area and come to find out she was bumping up her rating herself. My current dentist I knew someone who saw him (someone just as scared as I am about dental work) and he is phenomenal. He actually cares for you and is very meticulous with his work.

      Delete
  4. Poor thing! I can't even imagine how that feels. I almost cried seeing your text from the hubs before your procedure, SUPER cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I almost cried as well! I was so emotionally charged yesterday! Plus its so hard being away from your baby

      Delete
  5. Oh man, i'm so glad you found a good dentist to fix your tooth!
    That pictures of Judah with the "You can do it Mommy!" sing was too precious! What a thoughtful husband you have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost cried when I got the text, I think it was bc I was already emotionally charged from seeing the Dentist and then I remembered how much I just love my little guy :-)

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you had a much better experience this time! The second dentist sounds so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG I will come to DC to go to this dentist! Seriously, I have never had an experience like that and for that reason I have put off getting a bunch of serious work done. We're talking wisdom teeth out, root canal, and cavities filled. Sometimes my molar gets so infected and I'm in so much pain yet I'm too terrified to go and get them taken out. This post gives me hope! I really needed to read this, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's quite a long time for a root canal, I hope every thing is alright.
    dentist in laurel

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.