Saturday, January 14, 2012

DIY Mason Jar Silhouette Flower Holder


Ever since I did this DIY Silhouette tutorial back in December I've been wanting to create more items to decorate my home. Last week I found this idea on Pinterest, its written in French or Italian so I had to figure out on my own how to put the Silhouette onto some mason jars. I didn't do it correctly the first time but I made it work the second time around. 

- What you need -
Mason Jar (I thrifted mine for $1 today)
Tape
white spray paint
Black paint
brush
yarn


I used the cut out silhouette I had left over from the tutorial I did back in December and I taped the back of it onto the Mason Jar.


Spray painted it outside in a box and let it dry (it takes 2-3 hours to dry spray paint on glass). 


It didn't come out to well. The paint dripped behind the silhouette leaving it unrecognizable. But I wasn't going to let that stop me from making a flower holder tonight. I put the silhouette on an paper bag and sketched the outline so it was larger. Then I cut it out. 


Tapped the paper bag onto the jar. You can see below where I almost had the previous silhouette but the paint dripped/smeared. I wanted to make sure this was covered so I tapped the cut out over it so I was able to paint over my mistake.  


I used a sponge brush and painted over the cut out. 


Waited till it was dried and took the paper bag off the mason jar. 


Then I took some really durable yarn and tied it around the neck of the mason jar once/double knotted, tied around again/double knotted and tied around a third time double knotting it and leaving a loop so I can hang the jar. Went to Wegmans tonight and bought some Heather flowers and stuck in the jar with a little bit of water. 


Im planning on perfecting this so I can have a bunch of these outside on the brick wall near my garden this spring.



Let me know if you have tried this and what tips you may have for the silhouette. 

(If you get a chance please double click the box and vote for our blog) 
  Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

4 comments:

  1. Love it! I will definitely try this. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I found the mason jar section at Hobby Lobby yesterday. There will be many more frequent visits. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun! I also saw on the same french/italian tutorial that you can use a hotgluegun to write out something then spray paint the mason jar, I might try that as well ;-) let me know what you do end up trying and if you find a better way to spray paint on the silhouette

      Delete

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.