Friday, December 16, 2011

DIY Cute Christmas Gift

This year I really wanted to give out meaningful gifts for Christmas. A few months ago I came across a DIY tutorial on Pinterest on how to make handmade salt ornaments and immediately fell in love with the idea because I love Judahs little hands. Plus I wanted to send them out to a few people who I also know adore his little hands (my sister Rhonda and Judahs Nana Dyan).


I actually didn't have enough salt to make a whole batch so I made a half a batch of the dough. I'll probably make more later this week before Christmas.


For the full batch you will need

Ingredients
4 cups of flour
1 cup of salt
1 1/2 of cups water

For half batch

Ingredients
2 cups of flour
1/2 cup of salt
3/4 cup of water


First you will combine all the ingredients together and knead it for 15-20 mins. My husband wanted to knead the dough after I did for about 10 mins.




Afterwards you roll the dough out. I used things around the house to cut out perfect circles, the bottom of a vase or an upside down bowl. I also used the mustache that held candy for Judahs birthday. 


Scott helped with pressing Judahs little hands into the dough. Also if you have a dog you can press their paws into the dough.


Judah thought it was allot of fun although he did manage to eat a tiny piece of the dough.


Then we wanted to do his feet, this was important to me because we were not able to get foot prints for him after he was born. I think next time we have a baby I am going to make these for him/her right after they are born.


You poke a hole in the ornament to prevent air bubbles, also it serves as a place to hang the ornament up. I also used a pencil and poked some holes in the ornament to say Judah's name and the year. 



I also created some mustache ornaments, you can use any cookie cutter item to make an ornament. I think around Valentines day I might make heart ornaments instead of Valentines day cards. 


Preheat the oven to 300 degree and bake for 20-25 mins on a nonstick pan, closer to 25 mins for the really thick pieces. Then let cool for about 30 mins. You can paint them or just leave them natural. I am going to paint the mustache one black. 


They make great Christmas ornaments/memories for yourself. 


or you can mail to someone you love...like Judah did for his auntie Rhonda






Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.