Sunday, December 25, 2011

DIY Christmas Breakfast - A Two Bite Bacon & Eggs in Toast Cups

Merry Christmas!


Remember my post earlier this week here that I wrote on Christmas and how I wanted to start new traditions with my family. Here is one we started today that made me feel like Julia Child. I made two bite bacon & eggs in toast cups for Christmas morning breakfast and they were super easy! 
Here is how I made them.

First I started the morning off by throwing some Cinnamon Rolls in the over while Judah opened his presents. I knew he couldn't eat the toast cups just yet and I wanted him to have a special breakfast with us. But I also wanted to make sure they were cooled down by the time we had our breakfast.


When they finished baking I kept the oven at 400 degrees and started preparing for the Breakfast Bites.

This recipe makes 6 cups

6 pieces of bread (I used honey wheat)
6 pieces of bacon (I used turkey bacon)
6 eggs
Baking spray
1/5 cup of shredded cheese
salt/pepper


Preheat your over to 400 degrees, while you are waiting for your oven to heat up your going to prepare the toast cups. You take your slices of bread and make round shapes that match the muffin tin. What I did was take a tester piece of bread and put it under the muffin tin so I can get the exact shape. Then I pressed down so it makes a circle onto the bread.


Once I cut out the tester circle I went ahead and laid it on top of the other pieces of bread and used a knife to cut out the exact shape. This way my bread wasn't squished down flat and still semi fluffy.


I don't like to waste my bread so I keep it in the freezer in a bag that I can always take out/defrost for when Scott, Judah and I visit the ducks or birds at Burke Lake. You can also keep the bread to make homemade stuffing.


You want to cook the bacon for about 3 mins on the stove, just till its partially cooked.
Make sure you spray each tin with the cooking spray and then you place the cut out bread pieces in each tin. Shape the bacon onto the cups, what I did was cut the bacon so it was about 1.5" long, then I cut the middle so I can twist it and shape it nicely onto the cups. Sprinkle 1 Tbs of shredded cheese into each cup. Place the tin into the oven for 5 mins to allow the bacon to toast a little more. Remove from oven.


When you take out the pan  place pan on an ovenmit. You will crack an egg (one per cup) and  separate out most of the egg white. I put it all into one bowl and covered/put the bowl in the fridge for tomorrows breakfast of egg whites. Salt/pepper each cup and put back into the oven for 8-10 mins.


Remove from oven when done and pop out using a spoon, serve warm.


 I felt like Julia Child when I was finished making this. They are delicious and taste like you spent hours making when it only took about 30 mins.

Here is a video of Judah enjoying his first Cinnamon Roll.


Did you make any special meals as a Christmas tradition?

Help Our Rank & Visit Top Baby Blogs, Baby Blog Directory!

3 comments:

  1. Yummy yummy! I just made it with deli turkey (because I didn't have bacon). Also, I'm going to use the extra bread cutouts to make 'egg in a nest' tomorrow :) Thanks for sharing lovey! Merry Chritmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that you made this in Hawaii!!! ha ha :-)

    Good idea for Egg in a Nest. My step mom called them birds eyes, but I like Egg in a nest better ;-) As a kid it kinda weirded me out thinking I was eating Birds eyes

    I hope you had a wonderful Christmas xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They encourage my heart and I read every single one of them. Please be encouraging and don't just comment or email me when you want to correct me on my grammar. When I get the "grammar correction" emails or comments they do hurt my feelings. I wouldn't want your heart to feel the way mine does after reading them.

Please check back as I try to respond to everyone who leaves a comment.